Got your Data in the Cloud?

Got your Data in the Cloud? That's nice.

But Guess What-Your Liability and Cyber Exposure Remain Firmly Planted on YOUR Ground.

Your organization is responsible for safeguarding all data and information you collect from third parties. Using a cloud service to store your data does not transfer your liability in the event of a breach, and you can be held accountable.
Selecting the right cloud service provider can mean the difference between a lasting success or a costly failure. You need to ask the right questions and set the right requirements to ensure that your potential cloud provider increases your productivity, not your risks.

Before signing a contract, make sure it address the following:

  1. Is the provider obligated to replace your stored data if a disaster destroys their servers?
  2. Are there resources in place to back-up your data to ensure that there cannot be any permanent loss?
  3. Is the timeframe for the cloud provider to restore your data short enough for your business?
  4. Where is the data stored? While your provider may be headquartered in Canada, it could utilize server space in multiple countries. Depending on the location, this could mean reduced security standards.
  5. Is the process to transfer data from their servers back into your control well-defined, should your business relationship end for any number of reasons?
You are never done with cyber-security even once you complete your due diligence and select a cloud provider that you can entrust with your data.  Despite your best efforts, you could still experience a breach.

How Can Cyber Insurance Help?

When you or your cloud provider has experienced a breach, time is of the essence.  Many cyber insurers provide you with immediate access to a legal Breach Coach who manages your response and investigation process.  


The right breach coach will help you start the response process under attorney-client privilege. This way, you can carefully prepare and control how information is released publicly.  By engaging legal counsel specializing in data breaches, you are assured that you will be compliant with breach notification requirements.

Want more information?

Contact us today!

Renovating your home? Here’s what you need to know:

In Canada, summer is synonymous with construction and home renovations. Since we’re in high season for renovations, we want to make sure that you’re aware of the potential risks you face when it comes to home improvement projects:

Don't Get
Caught Unware:

At PROLINK, we’ll take the time
to review your policy thoroughly,
making sure that you are protected from any exposures including common mishaps like theft and more.

Want more information?

Contact us today!

What Happens If Your Laptop is Stolen?

You know that moment of panic when you think you forgot to save your work? 

Well, what if you lost all of your work? And not just your work. Your laptop too.


of Canadian workers find themselves in a non-traditional job setting where they work remote either full or part-time.

Then there are those of you who travel for work constantly, even simply to off-site client meetings. 

Wherever you go for work, your laptop goes with you.

What if you are travelling and your laptop is stolen from your car? 

Your sensitive information such as project files, financials, client data and more could be vulnerable to a privacy breach. 

Not to mention the $1,000 you’d be out for losing your laptop.

How can you protect yourself?

Auto Insurance

Covers the damage done to your vehicle but stolen personal items like phones and laptops are not typically covered.

Home Insurance

If your personal laptop is stolen from a car, then you can claim the physical laptop under your Home, Condo, or Tenant Policy.

Professional Liability

Company-owned laptops can be claimed under company business policies. Personal laptops used for company work can also be claimed, but be warned that due to high deductibles, the cost is often a write-off.

Cyber Liability

If you experience a data breach after the theft of your company laptop, you can claim it under your employer’s Cyber policy, or under your own Cyber policy if self-employed.

If you're still confused—don't worry.

PROLINK will take the time to explain all of the potential risks that could leave you and your data exposed. Together, we’ll define a solution that fits your unique needs best.

Want more information?

Contact us today!

Bad Things Don’t Only Happen to other People: Why you Should Increase your Auto Limit to $2 Million

If you’re like most people, at one point or another, you’ve likely complained about the fact that you must have Auto insurance before you can legally drive a car in Canada. We get it—Auto insurance can be expensive. And you’re a safe driver. So you think: you’ll probably never even need to make a claim.

But have you ever been watching TV, only to see footage of a massive car crash that happened on a road you drive on regularly? Has it ever made you realize that could have easily been you, instead?

In Canada alone, 160,000 car accidents occur every year. So the government wants you to have Auto insurance both to protect you and to protect the public, in case you get hurt, or accidentally hurt someone else. Statistics show that both of these scenarios are equally as likely to happen on any given day.

While damage to a car typically has a finite range of expenses, you also have to consider the possibility of personal injury—whether it’s to you, or to a third party. From medical bills to loss of income, and damages for pain and suffering, it can get expensive. Most Canadians have a standing Auto limit of $1million. But when personal injury comes into play, $1million quickly disappears.

When your insurance limit runs out, you’ll be expected to pay damages out-of-pocket. If you can’t make the payments, assets can be seized, along with a percentage of your future income. To truly cover your assets, we suggest increasing your Auto limit to $2million.

Increasing your limit doesn’t only help others with their injury costs. If you are injured in a car accident yourself, and the offending party has used up the $1million available on their policy, you can access an additional million dollars from your own $2million policy. This additional coverage provides you with superior protection, and it often comes at only a slight bump in your insurance premium. You’ll barely notice the change in what you’re paying, and you’ll be glad to have the security, should something occur.

To explore this topic further, contact PROLINK—Canada’s Insurance Connection at 1-800-663-6828 for a no- obligation quote today. We can connect you to the right coverage from the right insurer at the right price.


Preventing your Cottage Dream from Becoming your Cottage Nightmare

Understanding the Fine Print on your Seasonal Property Policy

The ice has melted on the lakes, signifying that cottage season is near. To different Canadians, a cottage means different things. For some, it conjures up the thought of lazing around and gazing at the lake, far from the bustle of city life. For others, it’s the place where you practice extreme sports like dirt biking, four- wheeling, and waterskiing. For many, it’s a little bit of both.

Now imagine you’re driving down the familiar stretch of country road, thinking about all of the fun that awaits your weekend. The past three months have been frigid, so you haven’t been up to your property since the holidays. You pull up to your cottage and are shocked to find that a frozen pipe burst and flooded the place while you were away. And when you rush to your seasonal property policy to make a claim, you find that you’re not covered because your cottage has been unattended for an extended period of time.

To help prevent this unfortunate scenario from becoming your reality, here are some things to keep in mind when reviewing your seasonal property insurance:

  • Your policy  may   not  cover   losses  and  damages  if  you  leave   your  cottage  unattended  for  long  periods   of time. Most insurers specify a maximum length of time you can be away. If damage occurs while you have exceeded that period, you will likely have to pay out-of-pocket expenses.


  • Your insurer expects you to take reasonable measures to protect your property. That is, if something out of your control occurs, your policy will cover you. But different insurers offer different levels of protection. Your broker can help guide you on determining which coverage is right for you.


  • Water damage is the most common claim. Frozen pipes, poor drainage, and torrential rain: the ways that water can wreak havoc on your property are endless. But be warned: many policies only include a low limit for damage caused by flooding. Know your risks and make sure that your cottage is adequately protected.


  • Renting your cottage may invalidate your insurance policy. Always inform your broker if you rent out your cottage from time to time. Don’t worry: it doesn’t automatically mean higher premiums. Don’t you want the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you’re covered for any losses caused by a renter damaging your property?


  • Watercrafts and other recreational vehicles are not covered by your property insurance. Sure, they may be worn down and not worth the cost of insuring against theft. BUT, if they have the potential to result in third party bodily injury or property damage, you may want to consider purchasing general liability insurance. Otherwise, you could be liable for major expenses.

If you want to learn how to protect that idyllic cottage life, contact PROLINK—Canada’s Insurance Connection at 1-800-663-6828 today. We will take the time to explain all of your options, and the potential risks, allowing you to choose the seasonal property coverage that best suits your needs.

Navigate your Rental Car Insurance, Without getting Lost in the Process

Most people groan at the mere mention of rental car insurance. Maybe you believe you’re shielded by your auto insurance policy. Or perhaps you simply close your eyes, cross your fingers, and hope nothing bad will happen while the car is in your care. Whatever the case, it’s likely that you haven’t taken a close look at your coverage. After all, nobody wants to think about the fine print with a vacation on their mind.

At least, not until your rental car is unexpectedly damaged and you find that you’re not fully covered by your insurance, leaving you liable for thousands of dollars. To save you from learning exactly what is and isn’t included in your policy the hard way, we’ve provided some simple measures you can take to protect yourself when renting a car:

  1. Ask your broker about your current policy.

Your existing auto policy will often apply to rental vehicles too. But watch out! You need to make sure that you are covered for an amount equal or greater than the value of the car you are renting. You should also check if your policy covers theft, vandalism, and accidents. And always keep in mind: your insurance rates may be affected if you make a rental car claim.

  1. Add a rental car endorsement to your policy.

For a low cost, your insurance provider will allow you to transfer your insurance to a rental car. Still, some coverages may not apply, so make sure to ask what the endorsement includes.

  1. Get insurance from the rental car agency.

While convenient, remember that the insurance offered by rental car agencies is often costly and provides only restricted protection.

  1. Use the coverage on your credit card.

As long as you use the same credit card to rent the car, you can obtain basic protection for theft and damage. However, coverage is typically limited and may be inadequate for your rental car insurance needs.

If you’re planning a trip, and have questions about rental car insurance, contact your PROLINK representative today. We will explain all of your options and the potential risks, allowing you to choose the coverage that best suits your needs.

Safe travels!

Contact us at 1-800-663-6828 to learn more today!



PROLINK sourced some of the information within the preceding content from the online publications of Zywave, Inc. ©2018 All rights reserved.


After a Flood— A Guide to Calming the Waters

When spring has sprung, Canadians can usually expect a lot of rain. For many of us, the rain is a welcome change from the snow. For others? It can pose a serious threat of flooding from surface water.

You may think that if you don’t live near a body of water—like a river—that you are generally not at risk of flooding. But the most common reason for flooding in our homes when it rains for days on end is actually poor drainage. Here we’ve compiled some tips on what you can do to prevent flooding:

Preventing flooding:
  • Downspouts should extend three meters from your house, at minimum. Make sure that the water coming from the downspouts is flowing away from your home and far away from neighbouring properties as well.
  •   Landscaping your property can help minimize the risk of flooding. For example, the ground within a three meter radius from your house should slope down from your foundation.
  • Make sure to clean your downspouts and gutters twice a year.
  • Once a year, have your roof professionally inspected.
And for flooding that can’t be prevented, here are some things that you can do to minimize the damage.
After a flood:
  •  Familiarize yourself with your electricity and gas valves so that you can act quickly in the event of a flood and turn them off.
  • If your home has come in contact with flood water or sewage, dispose of any items that cannot be washed and disinfected with a bleach solution. This can include pillows, carpets, and even dry wall and insulation.
  •   Clean your walls and any floors that are not covered by carpet with water, soap, and a bleach solution.
  • Consider storing some items outside of your home if you need to file a claim with your insurance company.

In general:

Despite your best efforts to prevent a flood, or to minimize its impact when it happens, some damage to your home is inevitable. That’s why it’s important to have a comprehensive Home Insurance policy in place. But not all policies are the same! Many people don’t know that their policy may only cover a low portion of the cost of claims related to flooding—that is, until it’s too late.

But at PROLINK—Canada’s Insurance Connection, it’s our job to explain your coverages and your exposures, so that you can make an educated decision knowing all the benefits and any risks. We will guide you to the right coverage, from the right insurer, at the right price.

Call us today at 1-800-663-6828 to learn more!




PROLINK sourced some of the information within the preceding content from the online publications of Zywave, Inc. ©2018 All rights reserved.

Minimize your Risk of Vision Loss

Visit your Optometrist Every 2 Years.


For work, for leisure, and for everything in between, you most likely have a constant companion: the internet. These days it’s virtually impossible to avoid spending a good chunk of your day transfixed by our friend, the internet.

While our phone, tablet and computer screens help us accomplish various tasks with relative ease, they also damage our eyesight in tandem. Most of you know that dry eyes, redness, and blurred vision are common consequences of using such devices regularly. So, it should come as no surprise that health professionals predict increased instances of nearsightedness, and other long-term vision problems as a result of eyestrain.

But this is not a cautionary tale against the dangers of technology and the internet. Rather, this is a call to action to visit your optometrist regularly and get your eyes checked out. Eye conditions are surprisingly prevalent in Canadians—affecting at least 5.5 million—and instances of vision loss are only expected to increase as we become more reliant on technology. Luckily, almost 75% of all vision loss can be prevented, if caught early on.

Unfortunately, eye disease often presents with no symptoms, until it’s too late to prevent the outcome. This speaks to the importance of having a regular eye check-up. Beyond assessing the health of your eyes, an optometrist can also identify the early warning signs of other systemic conditions such as diabetes, thyroid disease, hypertension, and even high cholesterol levels.

Health professionals recommend that adult Canadians visit their optometrist once every two years. Yet for many, vision is not a part of their employee benefits package. It’s also not usually covered by the standard provincial health insurance plans for adults aged 20-64 unless you have an underlying medical condition.

However, you don’t have to pay such expenses out-of-pocket just to get the care that you deserve. At PROLINK, we have an extended health care plan that includes vision coverage, ensuring you get optometry check-ups in a timely manner. With regular care, you’ll be secure in knowing that you can catch potential vision problems as soon as possible. And besides being offered at an excellent group rate, with our customized plan, you’ll also get access to other paramedical services for treatment and prevention of other conditions that can affect your health overall.

To discuss your needs and evaluate options available to you, contact PROLINK—Canada’s Insurance Connection at 1-800-663-6828 today. We will interview you and find a solution that best fits your needs and offers the protection you require. It’s all about you, and we can help.